Am 18.11.2010 15:31, schrieb Srinidhi Rao:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply guys, I would prefer a Paper Book as I don't have a
kindle(amazon) and also the PDF is not so suitable out here.. (the power
cuts hamper continuity :( )

@Alan,
Nice website for a beginner. I glanced through your webpage and thanks
for the link.
I too have an Electronics background, I am only new to Python and of
course OOPs... can you suggest any good books(paper) on Python.

Thanks and Regards,
|| SRX ||

My first book was "Learning Python" from Mark Lutz. Today, I think it's a bit too long. (OK, now I have learned most of the stuff in the book). It's certainly not the wrong choice for a beginner book. And now I'm a convinced Python fan. So it must have somehow worked.

"Programming in Python 3" from Mark Summerfield is also nice. I've bought it recently and like it. But can't comment on how it feels reading it as a complete novice.

The best book in my opinion, however *not* a beginner book, is from David Beazley: Python Essential Reference. As the name tells it's a reference, but with a lot of good recommendations and right to the point. That might be a good choice as a second book. Or you could read it in parallel to your beginner book - look up the topics you covered in the reference book.

There's another good one (also for beginners): Dive into Python. There's a free edition on the web:

http://diveintopython.org/

If you like it you can also by a "dead tree" version. (I've learned a new expression today, too ;-))

HTH,

Jan