On 11/18/2010 4:20 PM Joel Schwartz said...
Walter,

For those of us who are new to writing code that makes various software
packages interact with each other, can you say more about what "COM object
model" means in this context and where one can learn how to use it to make
Python interact with Excel and with Windows software in general. I've seen
term "COM" before and I know it has something to do with how Windows
programs interact with each other, but that's about it. Can you suggest some
resources for learning more?

This looks like one appropriate starting point...

http://docs.activestate.com/activepython/2.4/pywin32/html/com/win32com/HTML/QuickStartServerCom.html

Emile