On 10/12/10 00:51, Alex Hall wrote:
Hi all,
I am reading the source of a project I hope to help with
(http://www.qwitter-client.net). I sometimes see something like:
val=val or 1
I am guessing that val is an int. If val==0, the 'or' kicks in and
val=1, else the or is not needed and val=val. Am I close? Can other
words or symbols be used in contexts where one would not normally
think of them?
Thanks.

Hi Alex,

This is one of those times the interactive interpreter comes in handy eg:

In [1]: val=5

In [2]: val=val or 1

In [3]: val
Out[3]: 5

In [4]: val=0

In [5]: val=val or 1

In [6]: val
Out[6]: 1

You are right by the way and I know you can't test every possibility but, as you already suspected the outcome, this just reinforces it I think.

HTH,
Adam.