Alan Gauld wrote:

"Steven D'Aprano" <st...@pearwood.info> wrote

ordered a chai latte at a cafe. The waiter had no idea what that was, but must have known that "chai" means tea, and so mixed tea and coffee

So now I've got to ask, what is a chai latte?
I could Google it but I'm feeling lazy :-)

Spiced tea with milk. Well, technically, it just means "tea with milk", but in English chai is used exclusively for spiced tea ("masala chai" in Indian) rather than black or green tea.

Oh, except for Nestles, who sell something here in Australia which they call chai but is actually flavoured coffee. I think it's flavoured with rat droppings and pimple-squeezings, no matter what the packet says, because it truly is disgusting.

"Latte" is short for the Italian "caffè latte", or literally "coffee with milk". The latte part means "with milk", not coffee.

--
Steven