"Steven D'Aprano" <st...@pearwood.info> wrote

It's natural competitors are TLV (Tag,Lenth,Value) and
CSV(Comma Seperated Value) files but neither is as rich

I would have thought that both JSON and YAML are competitors to XML,

Totally agree but I excluded those on the basis that they weren't
around when XML was invented but CSV and TLV etc were.
(I guess my reasoning is that while XML was a competitor to
JSON/YAML when they were developed - because it preceded
them - they were not competitors to XML because they post
dated it. But it depe4nds on how you define the competition
- is it as a candidate for use now or alternatives at the time
of creation...)

But if you were looking for a choice of format today then YAML
and JSON would have to be included.

Alan g