On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 2:46 AM, ian douglas <ian.doug...@iandouglas.com>wrote:

>  Hey all,
>
> I followed a tutorial on creating a very simple wiki in Python, which
> worked fine until the example where the instructor wanted to render the
> output through markdown.markdown()
>
> Here's the view code:
>
> from agwiki.wiki.models import Page
> from django.shortcuts import render_to_response
> from django.http import HttpResponseRedirect
> import markdown
>
> def view_page(request, page_name):
>     try:
>         page = Page.objects.get(pk=page_name)
>     except Page.DoesNotExist:
>         return render_to_response("create.html", {"page_name":page_name})
>     content = page.content
>     return
> render_to_response("view.html",{"page_name":page_name,"content":markdown.markdown(content)})
>
> The problem I'm having is that the output in a browser is outputing HTML
> markers as &lt; and &gt; instead of < and > so the browser literally shows
> "<p>hello world</p>". If I leave the line as it originally was:
>
>     return
> render_to_response("view.html",{"page_name":page_name,"content":content})
>
> It just prints "hello world" as saved in the database. I'm just not sure
> where to start looking for a solution here, and would appreciate any
> pointers.
>

> Two thing:
      - This sounds like homework.
      - This is a python mailing list, not a django mailing list

Where I would start would be to investigate what the markdown class does. In
addition I would read over the django documentation to see why django is
doing that. It's in the django documentation, I hit that issue not too long
ago.

HTH,
Tino