On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Jerry Hill <malaclyp...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>

> I don't think that's true at all.  I think people here are happy to
> help, including by posting working, efficient, code.  What we try to
> avoid is having students come here with their assignments and have us
> do their schoolwork for them.  I'm not sure how long you've been
> subscribed to the list, but this happens on a regular basis.
</snip>
> --
> Jerry

I can't agree with Jerry's comments more, and I have been the
benefactor of both sides of this unwritten rule.

As a student, I came to discussion forums like this one with homework
questions hoping for an easy answer, and didn't get one.  Now that I
am a college professor I'm quite glad I didn't get an easy answer, and
I appreciate even more now the fact that forums like this one know a
homework problem from a real one, and work to teach more than normal
when it is needed.

I haven't been involved with python long, and I had an abrupt start on
this list as my first question question was not written with the
protocol I normally use, I had not taken time off and gotten away from
my frustrations and taken the time to write a clear concise
non-judgmental question.  The rest of this list chastised me, and
still helped me.  I deserved the critical words, and did not deserve
the help.  I got both.

Thanks go to the long time readers and contributors of this list who
have made it something valuable, and I hope that some day soon those
of us who are still learning, will be able to begin to meaningfully
contribute.