I haven't tried this on Windows 7 yet, but what I did on my Mac was to create
shortcuts and rename those.  I generally launch from shortcuts, so this leaves
the app names alone but gives me the information I need to launch what I
intend.  You should be able to do something similar on Windows.

regards,
Bill