On 3/19/2011 9:44 AM, Ajit Deshpande wrote:
I am trying to figure out where lambda functions can be useful. Has anyone used them in real world?

From my reading so far, I hear people claim that lambda can be a useful replacement for small functions. Most examples didn't make much sense to me. Why would anyone use a one liner anonymous function, if you never plan to use it elsewhere? You would then be implementing the logic directly in the line, isn't it?. Functions are useful if they plan to get called multiple times within your code.

For example:

add_one = lambda x: x + 1

In real world, why would I use a lambda for this. I would simply do:

add_one = x + 1

Can you provide some useful use cases for lambda functions?

One is the list sort method.

someList.sort([cmp[, key[, reverse]]])

/"cmp/ specifies a custom comparison function of two arguments (list items) which should return a negative, zero or positive number depending on whether the first argument is considered smaller than, equal to, or larger than the second argument: cmp=lambda x,y: cmp(x.lower(), y.lower())."

--
Bob Gailer
919-636-4239