On 31-Mar-11 09:46, bob gailer wrote:
IMHO % formatting is the easiest to use and understand.
I am sorry that it has been slated for removal.

I had the same reaction, but I think it was mostly because of my long background as a C programmer, since it's essentially the equivalent of printf() formatting. Just heavily ingrained in my brain.

However, since the more recent Python 2 versions have supported str.format(), and anticipating their removal from Python 3, I have started gravitating more to them, and I have to admit they're more powerful and probably a good evolutionary step to take. Especially so if your formats are configurable or generated by code which may want to reorder the values.

--
Steve Willoughby / st...@alchemy.com
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."