At least in my case it was about simplicity. If it was a simple matter of
using a base python program, that would be one thing, but the last program
i distributed here at work used pygtk as it's GUI (which at the time
required four different packages, I believe they have consolidated this down
to one, thank god), a month / date arithmetic module a few other modules I
can't remember off the top of my head.

It doesn't make sense to say, go here, install this, ok, now drop this in
this folder, ok now drop this in that folder, ok now open your command
prompt and type this string of words. But don't typo while your at it.

It took all of five minutes to learn how to use CX enough so I could freeze
something and send it around to people here to use. It would have taken 30
minutes to explain how to install each component to people who just want
stuff to work.