On 01/-10/-28163 02:59 PM, tax botsis wrote:
I have the following txt file that has 4 fields that are tab separated: the
first is the id and the other three show the results per test.

152 TEST1 valid TEST3 good TEST2 bad
158 TEST2 bad TEST1 bad TEST4 valid
.
.
.

Based on the above txt I need to create an xls file having as headers ID,
TEST1, TEST2, TEST3, TEST4 and the values valid, bad, etc under the
corresponding column:

ID TEST1 TEST2 TEST3 TEST4
152 valid bad good
158 bad bad valid

I tried to work that out with xlwt but couldn't. Actually, I started working
on the following script but I couldn't even split the line for further
processing:

import xlwt
wbk = xlwt.Workbook()
sheet = wbk.add_sheet('sheet 1')

row = 0
f = open('C:/test.txt','r')
for line in f:
# separate fields by tab
L = line.rstrip().split('\t')

Looks to me like you've split a line just fine. This line needs to be indented, however, so that it's inside the for loop.

What happens if you simply add a
     print L

and temporarily comment out the rest of the code?

Once you're confident about what's in L, how about if you figure out what data you could put into sheet.write() instead of printing it ?
Hint:  you probably want a for loop to process the list L.

DaveA