"Alan Gauld" <alan.ga...@btinternet.com> wrote
of the term. The issue is about whether the programmer was
trained in computing/engineering or whether it was someone
who just knew a programming language.

And I meant to add that this includes learning about the virtual machine - the execution environment, the differences between interpreted and compiled code etc. Also understanding OS concepts like scheduling and file systems etc are necessary. It's just the low level memory management/register access type stuff that I don't believe is necessary.

And I do agree that we are seeing "programmers" who don't understand the basics of computing even at a user level and that is not good in an industry concept. It's fine for hobbyists but not for industrial grade programming.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site