On 19 June 2011 14:46, Lisi <lisi.re...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 19 June 2011 08:39:43 Alan Gauld wrote:
> > "Lisi" <lisi.re...@gmail.com> wrote
> >
> > > It does indeed.  Thank you, both of you.  I have clearly not got the
> > > terms
> > > command, method, function (and feature?) clearly sorted out in my
> > > mind, so
> > > that is obviously where I need to go.  I am supposed to be
> > > researching
> > > import, but I have not yet succeeded in seeing why it is a problem.
> > > So I'll
> > > switch to looking up method, function etc.
> >
> > Add "callable" to your list of search terms.
> > Python has the concept of "callable objects" and
> > you can call a callable by using parentheses.
> > You can also test whether an object is callable
> > or not:
> >
> > for obj in list_of_objects:
> >      if callable(obj):
> >          print obj()      # call obj first
> >      else:
> >          print obj        # just use the obj value
> >
> > HTH,
>
> Thank you!
>
> Lisi

A good way to learn is making mistakes(in language it's the *only* way). I
don't think I will mistake variable_name with "variable_name" in the near
future!
I downloaded a text file of prime numbers - lots of them. Being clever(!), I
knew they were strs and I had to convert them to ints, so:
1. I put them all in memory - first mistake, but not fatal
2. I, very cleverly(I thought) used a list comprehension to convert them to
ints - OK
3. I did something like:
for prime in tooManyPrimes:
    f.write("prime")