On Saturday, June 25, 2011 06:18:14 am Adam Carr wrote:
> Good Morning:
>
> I am very new to Python but I am enjoying the learning process. I have a
> question about the application of Python to a problem at the industrial
> business where I work. My two main questions are:
>
> 1. Can Python be used to achieve the goals of the possible project?
> 2. Where are the best places to look (books, blogs, websites, etc.) for
> programming examples or modules that would help me begin to assemble and
> test some code?
>
> We currently have a Windows-PC based safety training program that was put
> together in MS Access around 2001. Access has evolved through several
> versions since then, as has the Windows OS, and the original author of the
> database has left the company. Originally designed to be deployed on an
> employee's desktop, the database is now restricted to two older PCs in the
> facility that run a version of Access compatible with the original. In
> short, the program is quickly becoming obsolete.
>
> The safety training program is a monthly exercise for all thirty nine
> employees at our location. The training is mandated by OSHA, and the
> subject matter is chosen based on the relevance to our processes. The
> program consists of the following general steps.
>
> 1. The employee is prompted to enter his or her employee identity number.
>
> 2. A confirmation is generated showing the employee name and other minor
> details, accessed from a simple list, to be sure the identity number and
> the person are correctly matched. This requires employee acknowledgment.
>
> 3. The employee freely selects a training subject from a list.
>
> 4. Once a subject is selected, a PowerPoint (or could be the OpenOffice
> Presentation) is launched. The training information is in the presentation.
> The employee can navigate forward or backward through the presentation, or
> they can exit.
>
> 5. Once the presentation is complete, or the employee has started and used
> ESC to exit from the presentation, they are prompted to take a quiz or
> exit the training program.
>
> 6. The quiz is a simple true-false ten question process based on the
> material in the training presentation.
>
> 7. The employee clicks on their answers to questions, the quiz is completed
> and scored. The employee must get at least eight of the ten questions
> correct to pass the topic.
>

> 8. Right now the Access version of the program prints the quiz, the
> employee's answers and the correct answers to the quiz, and the hard copy
> is signed and left with their supervisor. The printer is the default
> location set for the machine on which the training and quiz are completed.
> I think that the only reason the quizzes are printed is because no topic
> and quiz verification process was written into the program. In other
> words, an employee can take the time to review a topic, take and pass the
> associated quiz but if the printed copy is lost there is no way to verify
> [...]
You might want to check out Dabo (www.dabodev.com).  It was designed to
replace Visual Fox Pro, Access, and Visual Basic desktop programs.  Dabo does
a very good job with dealing with the GUI and data.

That of course assumes you want a desktop app.  You could also use Django to
create a web app.  But if this is your first python project I think I'd go
with a desktop app rather than deal with HTML, JavaSript, CSS, and python for
the first project.

Johnf