On Sunday 26 June 2011 17:15:14 Alan Gauld wrote:
> "Lisi" <lisi.re...@gmail.com> wrote
> Umm, nearly...
> The format string contains format specifiers. They are not variables.
> The specifiers define the type of data to be inserted into the string
> as well as how the data will be formatted - hence the name.
>
> So you can specify how many decimal places for a float, whether
> numbers have leadig zeros, whether text is righ or left justified and
> more.

> HTH,

Definitely.  I am very grateful.  I have been unclear about this for some time
and _think_that I have at last got it.  The things I asked questions about
were the things I either knew or thought that I had got wrong.

I kept hoping that context would make things clear in the end, as indeed it
often does.  But on this subject it clearly didn't.

So thanks for all the help.

Lisi