I have an excel file that I am reading cell values from and putting them
into a dictionary. the dictionary looks like this:

scafPositions = {position[j]: direction[j]}

where position[j] is exclusively floating/numerical values and direction[j]
is exclusively strings.

When I try to find whether a test value val is in the array of positions,
and then try to look its direction up with ScafPositions[val], I get a
KeyError. Is this because my data isn't standalone numbers, but numbers that
are calculated based off other cells? Or can I not test for val?