On 2011/08/05 01:01 PM, Flynn, Stephen (L & P - IT) wrote:
<snip>

It struck me that if I write a "read in Sybase DDL and spit out Oracle DDL" routine and so forth, I'd
get a lot of reuse out of it. However, I've not done much OOP at all and consequently, my object design skills are
somewhat non-existent. Whilst I have a rough idea of what my properties my "table" object will have I
was looking for something to help me design it - something which I can say "this is a table object, it has a
name and multiple columns. Columns have a type, a width (which may be further comprised of scale and precision or
just an integer depending on the column type) and a "nullable" flag.). Oh, and there may be multiple
columns... so maybe a column should be an object too... etc.

Anyone know if there are any such kinds of programs out there already (freeware
please - I'll be doing this off my own back so funds are tight for commercial
software). Failing that, does anyone use something for this kind of thing
already, Visio maybe or a spreadsheet. Maybe just notepad or a post-it?

<snip>

You could take a look at SQLAlchemy [1] and possibly the migrate [2] portion of it for schema management. It supports connectivity for both Sybase and Oracle as well as being able to generate the DDL [3]

[1] http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/
[2] http://packages.python.org/sqlalchemy-migrate/versioning.html#experimental-commands [3] http://www.sqlalchemy.org/trac/wiki/FAQ#HowcanIgettheCREATETABLEDROPTABLEoutputasastring

--

Christian Witts