On Tuesday 16 August 2011 21:53:46 Jerry Hill wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Lisi <lisi.re...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > lisi@Tux:~$ aptitude why python
> > i   reportbug Depends python (>= 2.5)
> > lisi@Tux:~$
>
> Keep in mind that that command only shows you a single dependency
> chain.  Try again with "aptitude -v why python" to see all of the
> dependencies.  On my ubuntu 11.04 machine, that command produces over
> 9000 lines of output, and over 800 distinct packages that depend on
> python in one way or another.

Thanks for that.  Very illuminating and interesting.  I hadn't come across
that command before.  (I tend to look things up in man aptitude rather than
read it through.)

But in my case it only served to illustrate that nothing of any real
importance in my system depends on Python.  In fact, not only were there no
direct dependency chains leading to Python, since all of them had at least
2 "suggests" in the chain, the few things that did depend on Python, at the
end of the chain, after the suggests, were mostly not installed, so would not
have missed Python.

Lisi