> > package that can open a databases without knowing there format?
> So, in case I wasn't clear, the databases are already made by someone else,
> and the format is beyond my control.  I need/want to learn to manipulate
> them.

OK, That wasn't clear. And it makes a difference. You need to know the format.

> Most likely they are similar to the Berkeley database

And that makes a much bigger difference because most folks assume by
'database' you mean a SQL database. Berkeley databases are flat file based
and there is a module to read them in the Python library, but they don't use
SQL.

They are more like a random access file mechanism than a relational database.
If that's what you are dealing with then it's a whole lot of different