On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:

> [...]
>>> going to be obsolete,
>>>

>> C is a great language for writing Operating Systems and other "near the
>> metal" code. But its not the best language for busiess apps, artificial
>> intelligence and a host of other things. Bash is a good user shell, but its
>> not even the best Unix shell for scripting (Thats probably ksh).
>> D? Who actually uses D? I think your informant was not well informed.
>>

> Ah, flame wars over which is the best language :)
>
> I don't know enough about ksh to compare it to bash, but at least you
> didn't recommend csh :)
>
> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-**faq/shell/csh-whynot/<http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot/>
>
> But frankly, all the shell languages are pretty horrible.
>
> D might not be a popular language, but it is a modern, advanced language in
> the C family, influenced heavily by Python. If I were to learn a new
> statically typed procedural/object-oriented language, I'd seriously consider
> learning D.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/**D_(programming_language)<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_%28programming_language%29>
>
> But it really depends on why you are learning the language.
>
> Are you learning a language because you need it for a specific job or
> project? Then learn whatever language you need, because you need it,
> regardless of whether it is widespread or not.
>
> Are you learning a language because you want to maximize your chances of
> getting a job? Then learn one of the big commercial languages like VB, C,
> C++, PHP, Javascript or Java. You won't learn to be a better programmer, you
> may learn to be a *worse* programmer, and you might be competing with
> thousands of code monkeys, but there are plenty of jobs available.
>
> Are you learning a language because you want to get the highest paid job?
> Then become an expert in an old language like PL/I or Fortran or something,
> and do it 30 years ago so you can claim 30 years experience. Now, if you can
> find a job -- and good luck with that -- you can pretty much set your own
> rate.
>
> Do you want to learn a new language for the love of learning languages?
> Then learn a wide variety of languages.
>
> Do you want to expand your skill-set (good for the resume!) and open your
> mind to new programming concepts? Then learn a variety of languages using
> many different programming paradigms:
>
> * procedural
> * declarative
> * functional
> * logic/deductive
> * object-oriented
> * stack-based
> * concatenative
> * concurrent
> * natural language programming
> * esoteric languages
>
> etc.
>
> Even if you don't have the time to learn the language, learn ABOUT the
> language.
>
> You will never say, "Gosh, I wish I knew FEWER programming languages!"

Ha Ha ...

Today I also talked with someone who had 20 years computation experience,
what I was told is that writing the algorithm is the most challenge things
than language its own.
regarding the python and C, I was told that python is good for interface and
others, but slow. and further was suggested to write the main part in C and
wrapped in python.

so complicated for me to achieve at present I guess.

Thanks