+1 Ramit.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Prasad, Ramit" <ramit.pra...@jpmorgan.com>
Sender: tutor-bounces+delegbede=dudupay....@python.org
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:09:24
To: tutor@python.org<tutor@python.org>
Subject: Re: [Tutor] problem with using set

Approach:-
>>> a='hello'
>>> set(a)
set(['h', 'e', 'l', 'o']), so i am thinking somehow if i remove 'l' and i join
the string, i will get the desired output.

2.
>>> a='microsoft'
>>> set(a)
set(['c', 'f', 'i', 'm', 'o', 's', 'r', 't'])
>>> print ''.join(set(a))
cfimosrt

When i print "Hello", i get the output as "helo"(in same sequence) but when i
write "microsoft" i get this-"cfimosrt". So, it means i can't predict the
outcome of set(a)??

Are you required to use set? If you are not, I think the following will be
easier.
>>> 'hello'.replace( 'l', '' )
'heo'
>>> 'microsoft'.replace( 'o', '' )
'micrsft'

If you require set, you can do:

>>> s = set("microsoft")
>>> s
set(['c', 'f', 'i', 'm', 'o', 's', 'r', 't'])
>>> s.remove('o')
>>> string = []
>>> for letter in 'microsoft':
...     if letter in s: