On Sat Oct 29 14:14:24 2011, Joel Montes de Oca wrote:

On Sat Oct 29 13:29:59 2011, Peter Otten wrote:

Joel Montes de Oca wrote:

Hello everyone,

About me:

This is the first time I post to Tutor@Python.org.

I am brand spanking new to Python. I can create simple application,
gone
through a few tutorials and watched the Google Python 2 day class on
Youtube. (List of classes: http://goo.gl/Ud5rg)

Just yesterday I figured out how to load up a GUI made in Glade and
pass
singles around and what not. Huge accomplishment for me since
documentation is a bit shaky for noobs like me. :)

I have some programming knowledge. I learned (self tough) VB when I was
in middle school and then did a intro to C++ in college. Of course
mentioning that is trivial since I haven't done any programming for
about 5 years or so.. But I do know basic concepts. Just need a little
push in the right direction..

--------------------------------------

I think I know how to design my application but I would like to put it
on here for you guys to review and provide me with feedback/suggestions
as to the best way to go about it.

--------------------------------------

The application:

I want to build a simple application that keeps track of items
borrowers
check out. So the end user types in the names of /borrowers/ and also
types in a list of /items/. Then the end user checks out the /items/ to
the /borrowers/.

The category that my application would fall under is close to
/collection management tools/. Here's a list of a few other
applications
that do something like what I am aiming for:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-open-source-collection-manager-apps/

In addition to the application keeping track of who has what, I would
like to code the date the items are out, which borrowers have not
borrowed anything in the last month, and so on. That said, I need to
setup some kind of database like file. I don't want to have a database
server though.

The reason I want to build a new tool is because:

A) I want to play around with Python
B) My friend needs the application to be simple and geared to his
needs without too many extra bells& whistles

--------------------------------------

My method:

I was thinking of using the lxmal module to construct a XML file to
read/write all the information.

I figured this was the easiest way to do what I need since the
information is setup as a tree. (Easy to think about and see) Example:

<app>
<borrowers>

<user>John Doe</user>

<checked out> Item1:Item2:||2011/4/2</checked out>

<user>Mary Doe</user>

<checked out> Item3||2011/7/22</checked out>

</borrowers>
<objects>

<item>Item1</item>

<createdOn>2011/2/1</createdOn>

<checked_out_times>32</checked_out_times>

<item>Item2</item>

<createdOn>2011/2/1</createdOn>

<checked_out_times>22</checked_out_times>

<item>Item3</item>

<createdOn>2011/2/1</createdOn>

<checked_out_times>1</checked_out_times>
</objects>
</app>

The application will not be used in an enterprise kind of environment.
The application is meant to hold about 80 borrowers and about 100 items
and that's about it.

Is this a good way to go about my project? Is there a better& easier
way?

I don't want to trade off "better" with "easy". Someone once suggested
on Freenode #Python that I should use a sql database. I don't remember
the name of it. It was something like lightsql or something like that.
That particular database didn't use a server end. I guess it spit out a
txt database or something... This might be a good time to mention I
know
very little about database construction or sql commands.

Anyhow, I am looking forward to hearing opinion's and suggestions.

Well, using sqlite

http://docs.python.org/library/sqlite3.html

may be both better and easier than lxml, but for the tiny amount of
data you
are planning to handle you can also make do with a few of Python's
lists and
dicts, and use pickle

http://docs.python.org/library/pickle.html

to save the data when you're done. It won't get easier than that.

Awesome Peter,

Yea, sqlite3 was what the good folks on irc.freenode.net #Python told
me to use but the pickle module seems like the simpliest way to get
the job done.

I'll look into both of them. I'm going to have to rethink how I am
going to build the program using sqlite or pickle().

Thanks again

-Joel M.

After looking at the Python module documentation for sqlite3 (http://docs.python.org/library/sqlite3.html#module-sqlite3), it seems to me it's the best way to make the small database that I am looking for.

Now I need to look for a basic tutorial on constructing a simple database (tables, rows, keys) and how to connect all that stuff together. If anyone happens to know of a good intro tutorial or documentation to database concepts, please forward it to me.

Thanks!