On 08-Nov-11 14:14, Jihad Esmail wrote:
Hi! I am new to this list so stick with me. I've recently taken interest
in learning Python. I have already learned Perl. How should I go about
learning Python from Perl? Please help. Thanks!

I, too, was a long-standing Perl programmer before diving into Python. The most important thing, and I just can't stress this enough, is that you should seek to understand Python on its own terms first. Learn the idioms and best practices of Python. Perl and Python (and C and Ruby and Java and... and ...) each have their strengths, weaknesses, and their own way of approaching a problem.

If you just try to frame a program as you would in Perl, and "translate" the code into Python straight across, you'll get really crappy Python code and have a miserable time doing it. Don't program in Perl in Python, in other words.

(Substitute "Perl" and "Python" with arbitrary languages of your choice.)

--
Steve Willoughby / st...@alchemy.com
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."