On 11/18/2011 04:01 AM, Alan Gauld wrote:
On 18/11/11 08:16, Mic wrote:

What if I don’t write the same line of code more than once, but I write
similiar lines more than once. Is that okay? Ler
For example:
value="green”
value_1=”green”

If you had a lot of these you could shorten it with a loop (BTW the English term in programming terminology is "loop" not "sling" ;-)

for var in [value,value_1]:
    var = "green"

Um, that won't work.   You typed that example too quickly.

Mic, the problem is not "shortening code," but making it more readable, and easier to maintain. If you have a series of variables that hold similar or identical values, or which are treated in consistent ways, then you should probably make a list out of them. And that will naturally shorten code like this.

student0 = 4
student1 = 3
student2 = 12
student3 = 11

Replace with

students = list((4,3,12,11))

Then if you want to deal with a particular student, you might do
   student[2] = 5

But if you want to deal with the ith student, you could do
  student[i] =

and if you want to do something with all of them:
   for index, student in enumerate(students):
             students[indes] += 65

There are plenty of more advanced methods that would make even that simpler, but I'm trying to keep it simple.

--

DaveA