On 11/17/2011 8:45 PM, Nidian Job-Smith wrote:

Hi all,

In my programme I am encoding what the user has in-putted.

What the user inputs will in a string, which might a mixture of letters and
numbers.

However I only want the letters to be encoded.

I am assuming that you meant "only accept characters" and not actual
text encoding. The following example is untested and is limited. It
will not really work with non-ASCII letters (i.e. Unicode).

import string
input_string = raw_input( 'Enter something' ) #use input in Python3
final_input = [] # append to a list instead of concatenating a string
                 # because it is faster to ''.join( list )
for char in input_string:
    if char in string.letters:
        final_input.append( char )
input_string = ''.join( final_input )