Steven and Alan,

Thank you for your comments!

Alan said:
>> Because you don't have a list comprehension. You can't put add arbitrary
>> code inside a square brackets [ ]. You have to follow the syntax for a
>> list comprehension:

This helps me understand a lot when looking back, I thought that any
operation done in place of defining the list literally was a list
comprehension.  I'm on wikipedia and a few tutorials now to refine and
will post back when I've come up with the solution I'm looking for
(and a comment as to if it's worth replacing a for loop with).

Thanks again!
Charles