On 04/01/12 14:54, Joel Goldstick wrote:

    two files' content is equal, just print "equal". Else, print the
    rows And column number of the first different position.

while True:
   line = f1.readline()
   if line != f2.readline():
        print lineNum, " : ", line

# in here I believe you need a bit more.  You now know the lines are
not equal, but the exercise requires the line number and column number

Oops, I didn't notice the column bit...sorry.

# To do that, you need to do something similar to what Alan has shown
     for i, c in enumerate(line):      #enumerate iterates over the
           if line2[i] != c:                  # line2[i] is the
               print "The file differs at line %d, column %d" % lineNum, i

Yep, that ought to work.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site