On 05/02/12 13:26, Dave Hanson wrote:

So far so good. I then realised that at work (XP) I have restricted
access to a command line and so wouldn't be able to use it, restricted
in the sense of I simply am not permitted to access it!

Are you prevented from using it or is it just a company policy?
In other words can you type Windows-r and get the run dialog
and type cmd into it to bring up a dos box? But if you do so
you could be disciplined? Or is there something on your PC build that actually stops cmd from working (which would be really strange since it would stop a lot of windows tools from working!)

revealed a class called "cmd" which I read up on
http://docs.python.org/library/cmd.html and I also found a good
site explaining the basics of how to use it
http://www.doughellmann.com/PyMOTW/cmd/.

I'm thinking of making it an executable file that pops up with a
terminal that I can enter the commands as I would on my bash shell - if
that makes sense?

But that will still need to run in a cmd window, whether launched
directly by you or indirectly by XP.

What happens if you create a desktop shortcut to one of your python programs, say one like this:

#################
print ("hello world")
input("Hit return to quit")

Does it bring up a console?
If so you have no problem, just use ypur normal script and create a shortcut.

  * Am I going down the right route by using "Cmd" or is there a better way.

cmd is a useful module but largely irrelevant to your question. It is a style of UI within a Python script. You may well decide to use cmd in your script rather than presenting menus etc. But it has no influence on whether your script will run on XP.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site