Nate Lastname wrote:
Hey List,

I am thinking about making a sandbox game.  Where should I start?  Has
anyone done this before? I'm having trouble in MANY places, and

This mailing list is for learning the Python programming language, not for answering arbitrary questions about anything vaguely related to Python. But in general, if you want to make games in Python, you can do far worse than to start with PyGame.

Please define what you mean by "sandbox game". Do you mean a game that simulates playing in a sandbox? Or a game that runs in a (security) sandbox? Or something else?

Running Python in a sandbox is a big, big task. In general, I would say it can't be done without assistance from the operating system, e.g. using a Unix chroot to limit access to the file system. But you could try PyPy, which I understand has a restricted Python mode.

I couldn't
find any similar projects with a Google search.

I find that difficult to believe. Perhaps you have other constraints that you are keeping secret, because the first page of Google search includes a link to someone who wrote a sandbox game (whatever that is!) similar to "World of Goo" using Pygame:

http://www.pygame.org/project-World+of+Goo+physics-1018-1785.html

--
Steven