Hello
I'm trying to plot a false-color map of a two dimensional function. My main
problem is that the function I want to plot depends also on time, and I wish
to show the plot as the function evolves, in real time. My first (and only, so
far) idea on how to achieve this was to iterate the computation and the plot
of the values of the function on a 2-D mesh for different times.

Regarding the plot, I tried some options and the one that came closer to what
I pretend is based on pylab (numpy and matplotlib, I guess), using the
matshow() method. However, I found that the display of successive frames takes
longer and longer. The following simple script shows this behaviour:
--------------------
from matplotlib.pylab import *

# Display a random matrix with a specified figure number
for i in range(20):
    mymatrix = rand(864,864)
    fig = matshow(mymatrix,fignum=0)
    draw()
quit = raw_input()  #wait for user input before closing graphics window

So my questions are
1. Is matshow() appropriate for what I have in mind?
2. Am I using it correctly?
3. Are there better tools for plotting time-dependent 2D data using python?

Thank you very much
Ze Amoreira