Hi and welcome Barry,

> One of the things I wanted to do is to use a four integer array to get four
> integers returned from a function.  I ended up using what I think is a list.
> (I'm not really sure of the datatypes yet).  This is what I did, and it
> works, but looks very inelegant to me:
>
> correct = 0
>    match = 0
>    wrong = 0
>    results = [correct, match, wrong]
>
>    results = getflag(flag_1, results)
>    results = getflag(flag_2, results)
>    results = getflag(flag_3, results)
>    results = getflag(flag_4, results)
>
> Any thoughts?

Not sure. In the sense that you can "optimise" (refactor) it in the same way
you could do with C. Eg:

results = [0, 0, 0]
flags = [0, 1, 2, 3]
for flag in flags:
    results = getflag(flag, results)

I skipped the constant variables, but that should be clear.
The only non-C thing here is the loop, but I would think that's pretty clear.
Note that flag takes on integer values here of course.

It could probably be done even more fancy/Pythonic, but I don't think there's a
reason to do that.

Of course, depending on the getflag function itself, you may be able to rewrite
things differently, but that's for another question I guess.

Cheers,

  Evert

ps: I was going to comment on the indentation, but then spotted your other
email. I am going to comment on the subject line though ;-), because that's not
related to your actual question. A relevant subject helps a lot, among others
for web searches from other people later one.