> How do I create a small IRC program which can send and receive private
> messages from users?

I created a multiplayer game that can create a standalone
server like a MUD, or communicate over IRC, or both (I think)
acting as a gateway between the two.

It uses Twisted, which some find arcane, but it is very cool
once you get the hang of it.

I have never deployed the IRC bot (beyond basic testing) as
I was not sure about acceptable use of bots on the various
servers. Also I am not certain of the security of the whole
thing.

The code may be of use to you though:

http://acromania.googlecode.com/