On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 11:57:14PM -0600, Modulok wrote:

> Learning to use a command line at first feels really clunky and primitive, but
> eventually it eclipses most GUI's and IDE's in terms of speed and the tools
> available. You can also ooze right into system administration without much
> effort.

Perhaps the hardest part about using the command line is
*discoverability*. There is nothing even close to the equivalent of
clicking on a menu to see what commands are available. If you have a bad
memory for commands you use only once every six months, like I do,
you'll forever be googling for "how do I do X on Linux?" type questions.
"Oh yeah, that's right, it's such-and-such a command."

But if you can get past that, and I understand that commandlines are not
for everyone, they are *much* more powerful and efficient than graphical
applications, for many (although not all!) tasks.

--
Steven