On 6/26/2012 1:10 AM Alan Gauld said...
On 26/06/12 02:22, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

I think you've messed up your quoting. It was Mike Nickey, not Emile,
who suggested using w[0] == 'x'.

Yes, but Emile's comment was in context of Mike's assertion about w[0].
However, reading it back I think that the "This" in Emile's comment was
actually intended to refer back to the startswith discussed in his
earlier(unquoted) comment...

Actually, my first comment at that location was phrased with a negative as in something like 'and doesn't suffer the side effect of failing when the string is empty like this does' but as I edited before hitting send I rephrased my response and left the 'this' oinappropriately placed.

Emile