Starting to work through "Programming Computer Vision with Python" in my
-summer of learning python- quest.  As I read through the intro to the PIL
library, I came across the below code.  When I read it, I said to my self
"I don't see how that calls a set of files, there's no specificity.  How
does that know where to call from?"  Then I convinced myself that, because
I'm a beginner, I must be missing something, and ran it through the
interpreter.  Of course, I got an error message telling me filelist isn't
defined.  But now I'm kinda lost.

If the directory holding the pics I want to work on is called
practicephotos, should I declare something along the lines of filelist =
~/practicephotos/ or what?

regards, Richard

[code]
from PIL import Image
import os

for infile in filelist:
outfile - os.path.splitext(infile)[0] + ".jpg"
if infile != outfile:
try:
Image.open(infile).save(outfile)
except IOError:
print "cannot convert", infile
[/code]

--
"Treat all disasters as if they were trivialities but never treat a
triviality as if it were a disaster."