On Sep 2, 2012, at 5:06 PM, Michael Lewis <mjole...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Michael, I see you have several Windows answers, but it doesn't look as
> though you found quite what you were hoping for on OSX.  My suggestion would
> be to take the script and run it through py2app, which will turn it into a
> stand-alone application which can then be added to your list of StartUp or
> LogIn applications.  If you never request input or produce output, it will
> quite happily run in the background with no window and no menu (although by
> default there will be an icon in the dock).  At that point it is so much a
> background application that the ONLY way you can quit it is via the Force
> Quit dialog.   If you generate status or housekeeping print messages, they
> will show up in ~/Library/Logfiles.  Py2app isn't particularly memory
> efficient, even a minimal application tends to run close to 9-10 Mbytes, but
> if it spends most of its time sleeping, it will use very little in the way of
> system resources.
>
> Good luck,
> Bill
>
> Thanks, Bill. That is definitely more of what I am looking for and actually
> found that through some googling.  What I am confused about now, is what's
> really the difference between py2app and the python Build Applet?
> --
> Michael J. Lewis

I've never played with Build Applet, only py2app, so this may be partially or
totally bogus, but py2app uses a fairly elaborate "setup" script that allows
you to specify things like a custom icon (if you want one) as well as specific
libraries.  Build Applet, on the other hand, is a much simpler tool that takes
a single source file, pulls in any "includes" it finds and builds a default.
It might in fact be sufficient for your needs.

If you've downloaded the python from python.org, you will definitely find both
the Build Applet and PythonLauncher in a PythonXX folder in your Applications
folder.

Good luck,
Bill