You will not find much help in getting a program to 'just work' regardless
of your own experience. My advice would be to try and run small parts at a
time to pinpoint where the problem is. Are you opening and reading the file
properly? Are you iterating over the read file properly? Does your html
check work on a local, properly formatted html file? Create a small text
file to run it on. Also keep track of file position and when you are
assigning variables new values. I am still learning myself, so this isnt
very specific, but you will have to ask more specifically so more
experienced people will be willing to help without doing your work for you.
Good luck