On 03/10/2012 04:15, boB Stepp wrote:
After much diddling around I have finally settled on a text to study
(Programming in Python 3, 2nd edition, by Mark Summerfield) and have
defaulted to using IDLE, deferring worrying about editors/IDEs until I
feel comfortable in Python.

I've been using Eclipse and Pydev and find it incredible. I've been converting J word code into Python and this combination has greatly eased the task. Finding errors as I edit instead of at run time makes an awesome difference to my productivity. Quite why I was happy to slag off Eclipse maybe six months ago I don't know. Does a good sized portion of humble pie make amends?

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.