Thanks for the help!  Not sure why I assumed that csv.reader was returning
row as a tuple instead of a list... that makes that part easier ;)

As for the 'INSTEAD OF' trigger on a VIEW... that *does* look pretty
handy.  I was trying to remember why I hadn't heard of that before, or why
I hadn't looked into it.  I think it has to do with MySQL not supporting
triggers on views, at least not 'INSTEAD OF'.  Right now I'm using sqlite,
but at some point I may need to work with MySQL as well.  It's getting kind
of frustrating how many little things it doesn't support...