Hi Dave,
Not true.  That's just what it was truncated to upon output.  If you
want to show 15 digits, then use formatted output instead of str()
inside the realprint() function.
BIG light bulb moment! I had no idea the str() statement was truncating!
I *did* search the script for "12" or "trunc" (being a newbie!) and saw
nothing. Hence my silly questions tonight!
<SNIP>

def realprint(a):
     for i in range(len(a)):
         outfile.write(str(a[i]))
         if i < len(a)-1:
             outfile.write(" ")
         else:
             outfile.write("\n")

output.write("{0:.15f}".format(x))

You may want to play with the format a bit to get it the way you
actually want it.  Note that the format will happily output nonsense
digits beyond the end of the available precision, so you have to do your
own figuring before deciding what to display.
Hmm, well, I did modify the original script by setting the convergence
test value to 2.005e-16 up from 1e-6, soooo, I 'guess' 15 sig.figs.
will be OK. I'll have a go! That's 3 orders of magnitude better for
a few key strokes! Great! (maybe...)
John.