On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Hs Hs <ilhs...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear group:

Please send mail as plain text.  It is easier to read

> I have 50 thousand lists. My aim is to search a pattern in the
> alphabetical strings (these are protein sequence strings).
>

> MMSASRLAGTLIPAMAFLSCVRPESWEPC VEVVP
> NITYQCMELNFYKIPDNLPFSTKNLDLSFNPLRHLGSYSFFSFPELQVLDLSRCEIQTIED
>
> my aim is to find the list of string that has V*VVP.

Asterisk

The "*" matches 0 or more instances of the previous element.

I am not sure what you want, but I don't think it is this.  Do you want V
then any characters followed by VVP?  In that case perhaps

V.+VP

There are many tutorials about how to create regular expressions

**
**

> myseq = 'MMSASRLAGTLIPAMAFLSCVRPESWEPC VEVVP
> NITYQCMELNFYKIPDNLPFSTKNLDLSFNPLRHLGSYSFFSFPELQVLDLSRCEIQTIED'
>
> if re.search('V*VVP',myseq):
> print myseq
>
> the problem with this is, I am also finding junk with just VVP or VP etc.
>
> How can I strictly search for V*VVP only.
>
> Thanks for help.
>
> Hs

Joel Goldstick