On 19/12/12 03:54, boB Stepp wrote:

systems. Now after the upgrades some machines now have Python 2.4.4
and others Python 2.4.6. For the purposes of creating/manipulating
text files and running Solaris-flavored Unix commands, is there
anything I should be specially aware of?

The major versions of Python tend to be very good at backward compatibility. Obviously if you use new features not supported
in 2.4 they won't work (although some might if you 'import future')
Check the 'Whats new' file for each version between 2.4 and 2.7 to see what you should avoid.

But I still have Python 1.5 programs that run happily under 2.6
(I don't have 2.7 installed yet) and the vast majority of code I write on a daily basis will work on any version post 2.2.

in my Python studies with version 3.x up to this point. I understand
that there are differences between 2.x versus 3.x such as print
statements versus print functions, etc.

Yes, there is a big jump between v2.x and v3.x. Not massive, but more than in previous versions.

BTW, does 2.4.x come with Tkinter standard?

Yes, Tkinter has been part of the standard library since at least v1.3 (when I started using python! :-)

probably could get permission to upgrade, but only if I could
demonstrate a compelling need, which at this time I would deem highly
unlikely.

On our servers at work we are still on Python 2.3. We do not officially support Python (we officially use Ruby(v?) and Perl(v4) for scripting) so the version hasn't been updated in years. It's quite common in corporate environments, and many places have a policy of always staying 1 or 2 versions behind the bleeding edge.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site