This is going somewhat off-topic but my curiosity is roused...

On 02/01/13 15:16, Oscar Benjamin wrote:
>   When the idea was discussed in the run up to Python 3, Guido raised
exactly this case and said
"""...
(BTW Pascal also had the division operator right, unlike C, and we're
... If we had done it that way, we wouldn't have had to introduce
the index() builtin and the corresponding infrastructure (__index__
and a whole slew of C APIs).

I don't get the reference to index here.
Why would adopting Pascal style division remove the need for index?

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site