On 07/01/13 14:48, Ed Owens wrote:

[...]
parser = HTMLParser(formatter.AbstractFormatter(
    formatter.DumbWriter(cStringIO.StringIO())))

HTMLParser is from htmllib.

I'm having trouble finding clear documentation for what the functions
that are on the 'parser =' line do and return. The three modules
(htmllib, formatter, & cStringIO are all imported, but I can't seem to
find much info on how they work and what they do. What this actually
does and what it produces is completely obscure to me.

Any help would be appreciated. Any links to clear documentation and
examples?

I'll start with the easiest: cStringIO, and it's slower cousin StringIO,
are modules for creating fake in-memory file-like objects. Basically they
create an object that holds a string in memory but behaves as if it were
a file object.

http://docs.python.org/2/library/stringio.html

The formatter module is used to produce an object that you can use for
creating formatted text. It's quite abstract, and to be honest I have
never used it and don't know how it works.

http://docs.python.org/2/library/formatter.html

The htmllib module is a library for parsing HTML code. Essentially, you
use it to read the content of webpages (.html files).

http://docs.python.org/2/library/htmllib.html

Unfortunately, there is not a lot of documentation for the
htmllib.HTMLParser object, so I can't help you with that.

--
Steven