Need to fill some DVDs.

Figured Python would be the tool to quickly write this tool in, since I have
seen similar tools written in python.

I even found something onlist to start from... from August 2004.
Sent: Sunday, August 15, 2004 9:22 PM
Subject: Re: [Tutor] List files in directory
 "Bernard Lebel" wrote:
 > > Hello,
> > Anyone has advice on how to collect filenames from a directory?
<snip>
 > I want to print only the files contains in the currently visited directory.
 This is simple enough that I can help:
 import os
path="C:\\somedirectory" # insert the path to the directory of interest here
dirList=os.listdir(path)
for fname in dirList:
   print fname
I have lots of DOS, Unix and Linux scripts, as well as 30 years of development
in all types of environments. I am currently looking to create a python
application that works on many different platforms, but can work without
problems on Windows (ALL), Linux (ALL) using Gtk/xfce/other (need suggestions),
and Unix (really need suggestions).

Need help in defining environment standards to research learn, and looking for
pointers in modules to use developing my new open source app. ;)

Scratchy overview --
Full solution for me will accept start directory and -c or -d parm (CD/DVD) if
passed from command line or shell script. If start directory is not passed,
there will be a "browse" interface to choose the directory to start from (will
determine OS from os call) and a media drop-down selection. Will require a
standard GUI environment like windows/gtk/"something".

The main process will create a list of fully-qualified file names, file sizes.
Then, it will build a grouped list of files, filling media as effectively as
possible.
Last, it will print on screen the lists of FQFNs and filesizes that will go on
each backup disk.
Should be just a list of simple printfs.

I have done some maintenance on python, but this is the first app that I have
written from scratch, so I need to focus on each area
--
Barry Smith
Secure Computer Services