On Mon, 2013-03-04 at 17:58 +0000, Alan Gauld wrote:
[…]
> There are so many web frameworks for Python that asking which is bet is
> rather pointless. They are all fairly good, some are very good for
> specific tasks, others are more general. The main thing to start with is
> pick one and learn it. You can switch later once you understand the
> concepts but stick with one until you do.

I think it probably is worth dividing the "full stack" frameworks from
the microframeworks since although the latter can be combined with other
frameworks to emulate the former, they can serve better for some web
applications that do not need big database support.

> My personal recommendation would be either to go direct to Django
> or try CherryPy. But there are plenty of advocates for the other options
> too. It really is less important which one you choose, rather focus on
> understanding the concepts of  translating urls to Python methods, using
> templates to isolate code from presentation and using databases to store
> data. The frameworks all facilitate these features in one way or another.

Many will argue that there are better full stack frameworks, but as of
today Django is  definitely a "not wrong" proposal. Principally because
the documentation is very extensive and there is an excellent tutorial
using TDD at http://www.tdd-django-tutorial.com/

For microframeworks, Bottle is getting a lot of good press. Flask also
except that it doesn't have a Python 3 presence as far as I know just
now.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel.win...@ekiga.net