On 04/06/2013 11:23 PM, Najam Us Saqib wrote:
Hi,

Would you please help me by explaining that why " 5 " is skipped and not
printed in the following program?

Seems to me the comments say it pretty well. The continue statement causes execution to continue at the while statement, which has the effect of skipping the print. Like Monopoly: go directly to jail, do not pass go.

Thank you.
Najam.

count = 0
while True:
     count += 1
     # end loop if count is greater than 10
     if count > 10:
         break # means "break out of the loop"
     # skip 5
     if count == 5:
         continue # means "Jump back to the top of the looop"
     print count

raw_input("\n\nPress the enter key to exit.")

Output:

1
2
3
4
6
7
8
9
10

Press the enter key to exit.

Incidentally, this looks like a transliteration of something written for some other language. An experienced Python programmer would never write it this way.

I'd use something like (untested):

for count in xrange(11):
    if count != 5:
        print count

On the other hand, a course --teaching a C programmer to use Python-- might well use this as an early example, showing you later how much elegantly it can be done.

--
DaveA