Thank you all for the feedback and suggestions. I have never used an assertion, before so I will read up on the concept. But this last email about the optimizations makes me want to go with an AssertionError exception, since assert is skipped if the compiler is told to optimize. Alan you are right, the code should be better tested, but test driven development seems like it would take me forever to complete even small tasks, there is so much to be tested. I have limited time to program with my wife and kids, but do you think test driven development is still the way to go?