On 26/05/2013 22:40, Jim Mooney wrote:
On 26 May 2013 02:51, Mark Lawrence <breamore...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
Basically no.  Python 2.7 is guaranteed to be backward compatible with
Python 2.6.  New or improved functionality will be listed in the "What's New
for Python 2.7".  In fact if you look at the "What's New for Python 3.3"
you'll find all of the "What's New" going back to Python 2.0.  See this
http://docs.python.org/3/whatsnew/index.html.

That's a relief. I started with Py 3.3, realized a lot of stuff wasn't
there for it yet, regressed to 2.7, but still write "input" instead of
"raw_input" now and then, producing an error I think is mine until I
see what I did ;')  "raw_input" is such an awkwardness for a very
common use, that I'm surprised it was there in the first place.

Incidentally, I was figuring how to use compile for multi line
statements since the example I saw was a single line, compiled a small
multi-line routine nicely, and realized I had just compiled a  bad
syntax error. I was trying to iterate an integer.

Good to know that compile doesn't check syntax, since I erroneously
thought it did.

You might like to know that it's possible to write code that's usable with both Python 2 and Python 3, see this for starters https://pypi.python.org/pypi/six/1.3.0.

--
If you're using GoogleCrap™ please read this http://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleGroupsPython.